This workshop will explore how to weave various 3 dimensional shapes for free form sculptures, as well as seamless handbags, pillows, garments, dolls, and triangular shawls. Because the theory relates to 3 dimensional shapes and forms in real space, the information is more applicable to direct weaving experience than theoretical 2 dimensional drafting. Students should come with table looms threaded as per instructions.
- Review basic threading, tie-up, epi and dent setting for structural double weave
- Go over worksheet showing treadling order, number of shuttles as well as direction and order for weft placement.
- weave all 12 possible 3 D configurations on basic sculptural worksheet
- Show examples of clothing, doll and triangular shawl and review their accompanying weaving sheets
- choose one of the projects and weave in miniature on same warp from previous days sample weaving
- Show and tell, students will share their weaving and discuss their experiences